Sunday, July 26, 2015

Is This Normal?

So it has been a week and a day since I removed my cheese from the mold.  Well sort of.  I have removed it from the plastic mold, but there are other molds that have made their home on my cheese.
According to the directions, "The cheese can now be taken from the molds and dried off for another day.Note the fan in the photo below which is set on low to provide enough air movement to further dry off the surfaces. The surface can be left as is to allow natural molds to develop"  Then there is a lovely photo of a block of cheese with milky white mold on it, it looks very pleasant and rustic.
This is from the website.  Mine looks nothing like this. 
I am not sure if there are more than one type of mold that can grow or if I have done something horribly wrong.  My instructor Roy assured me that if they were bad microbes it would smell foul.  It is not foul smelling at all, just musty/moldy. 

The black mold is very soft and velvety.  I am not going to cut into it until lab day, but I am more than just a little bit afraid to test it.  Luckily I have a second batch that will be fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment