Saturday, July 18, 2015

Day One

"Begin by heating the milk to 86F (30C). You do this by placing the milk in a pot or sink of very warm water. If you do this in a pot on the stove make sure you heat the milk slowly and stir it well as it heats."

I initially started with the jar in a pot of water on the stove.  I also only have one mold so I cut the recipe in half.
I decided that trying to work with a narrow mouth jar would cause more problems so I switched to a 2 quart pan.
"Once the milk is at 86F the culture can be added. To prevent the powder from caking and sinking in clumps, sprinkle the powder over the surface of the milk and then allow about 2 minutes for the powder to re-hydrate before stirring it in." 
I forgot to take a picture of the culture but it looks kind of like salt but more creamy white and granular than white and granular.
"If using the Buttermilk culture you will need to add about 2 drops of rennet to a gallon of milk."
With one quart I had to use about a half of a drop.  There is a proper way to calculate this, but I just winged/wong it.
The rennet has an unusual smell.  Not pleasant, but not disgusting either.
I could tell the rennet was working.  This picture isn't very good but can you see the little edges that are separating?

" Smell & Taste the sweet milk at this point !"  I did and it pretty much tasted like milk.  Sweet like the instructions mentioned.
"The milk now needs to sit quiet for about 16-24 hours while the culture works and the acidity coagulates the curd. The thermal mass of this milk should keep it warm during this period. It is normal if the temperature drops to room temperature during this time but do keep it between 68-72F otherwise acid development and coagulation may slow down."
Now we wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment